Note you do not need a smart watch to use the apps – only a Galaxy Note Edge!
I recently switched to the Note Edge and saw a couple of limitations with the edge display plus an opportunity to complement using a smartwatch – Augmented Edge fills in the gaps nicely:
- Any real-time alert can be shown on the edge display – when the phone display is off;
- The text is shown properly (not upside down);
- A picture of the sender (regardless of android app) is shown if available;
- Option for Google Music track info to be shown on the edge display – without being sent to smartwatches (which can be annoying) – note Augmented Edge (Version 1.1 or later) supports this capability as a standalone app.
There are some times when glancing at your watch will not be possible/preferred, but having the Note Edge positioned in one’s line of sight could provide an alternative. For example, in a meeting, you feel the watch vibrate but it may be “rude” to glance at your watch. Instead you can still get the vibration on your Android Wear and glance at the note edge display to see the info in a very discrete manner.
Install the two apps above. Alerts are only sent if the note edge display is off (they are not sent if it is on).
- There is a setting to only send alerts if the note edge is being charged (and the phone display is off)
- The time to show the alert on the Note Edge (from 3-10 seconds) can be configured in Augmented SmartWatch Pro
- The test notification alert will show on the edge display (even if the screen is on) to allow you to ensure things are working properly
- Option (enabled by default) to force Alerts to be shown at full brightness (rather than default brightness)
- A flashing colour bar is shown with alerts for High Priority Senders. Color for each High Priority Sender can each be individually configured in Edge settings.
- Option (enabled by default) to show a flashing colour bar alert (similar to Edge S6) prior to showing the alert text. The # of times to flash this color bar and the color can be configured. Note if it is a high priority sender then the colour associated with the High Priority Sender is used instead.
- Animation options for pre-alert colour bar. There are two animation options: a sliding square and sliding bar.
- New feature to use system LED colour specific to an app (if enabled within the app to customize the LED on the phone) – e.g. Touchdown allows a new email to customize the colour of the LED on the phone. Augmented Edge will use this colour automatically. Note a high priority sender colour will have priority over the default colour set by the app. You can now use an app like Lightflow to further customize the colours per app. Must use Notification Listener for Augmented SmartWatch.
- Separate Pre-alert Colour options for Chat (Skype, WhatsApp), Email, Google Now, Music and SMS) in addition to default and High Priority Sender colours. So the flashing colour will now be alert-context aware and generate a colour accordingly.
- Can configure duration of each pre-alert flash. Can also fast flash for Calendar, SMS alerts or High Priority Senders (flashes 3x the normal # and 1/3 faster and as a solid bar, no animation). All configurable in settings
- Option for Sirius to show alerts only on Note Edge (Useful if have a smart-watch connected to the Note Edge also and you want the Sirius info on the Note Edge only).
- Option for Calendar alerts to show alerts only on Note Edge (Useful if have a smart-watch connected to the Note Edge also and you want the Calendar info on the Note Edge only). Note Calendar alerts colour can be provisioned and can will be shown as a flashing alert if Fast Flash in enabled.
- When Full Brightness is enabled a new option to only use Full Brightness mode when not in meetings is added (default is disabled).
Many of Augmented SmartWatch Pro key benefits are available:
- Optimized alerts
- Intelligent Quiet Time
- Hyper-local weather alerts
- Klout, Fitbit, Withings support
- Works well in combination with Android Wear or any other smartwatch that Augmented SmartWatch Pro supports
Augmented Edge can also work as a standalone app as it provides for an Intent API: intent – com.alk.edge.action.add Parameters: sender and subject Example Tasker Task here.
Augmented SmartWatch Pro:
- Enable Augmented SmartWatch Pro under system security settings for notification access
- Open the Augmented SmartWatch App – menu-> Test Notification – it should show up on the Note Edge to confirm things are installed and working OK
- Enable notifications for apps you want to see alerts from on the Edge – under settings in Augmented SmartWatch (optimized notifications and all other notifications control these settings)