Major Break-Through – Now works with all MotoACTV devices
no Root or special ROM on MotoACTV required any more
uses the normal bluetooth connect
integrated with Motorola’s notification system
Please ensure the MotoACTV settings are as follows:
Please also ensure that Augmented SmartWatch Pro shows up in the Motorola software under Plugins:
Information below is out of date
Augmented SmartWatch Pro (Version 2.8.1) now supports pop up notifications on rooted custom ROMs for the MotoACTV Smart Watch:
Version 2.8.1 is now live on the market
Please note that this app no longer works on the latest version of the ClearD MotoACTV ROM
New in Augmented SmartWatch 2.9
- Added a third option upon Wifi network disconnect notification to just tap “OK” to clear the notification without needing to go to Wifi Settings. Hence there are now three options upon Wifi disconnect: 1) Goto Wifi Settings, 2) OK, and 3) Disable future notifications (until re-enabled or MotoACTV restart)
New in Augmented SmartWatch 2.8.2
- Ability to resume MotoACTV pop-up notifications from the status notification bar when temporarily paused (when Disable is selected on notification pop-up to pause showing notifications on the MotoACTV)
New in Version 2.8.1
- Ability to see the last notification shown by turning MotoACTV on. Note the last notification will keep appearing on display turn-on until the user taps OK or taps to see all notifications via the NotifyMyAndroid list (as with a new notification on the MotoACTV). If the user does not do anything, then the pop-up notification will disappear after 8 seconds (and re-appear if the user turns the MotoACTV display back on).
- Option added on pop-up to temporarily disable pop-up notifications. Will be re-enabled after restart or by opening app and re-starting “Phone PopUps Stopped. Click to start”. Example shown below:
- To re-enable (ensure green button below is enabled) within ASP on MotoACTV
The MotoACTV device is so close to being an ideal “SmartWatch”. It looks more sturdy than the Sony, is more viewable under sunlight and is more water resistant. It also has the ability to connect to a BLE (or ANT) heart rate monitor and does step counting and calorie burn tracking. Moreover the ability to root and install a custom ROM is very easy with precise and accurate instructions @ this link . The MotoACTV is however lacking some critical features: no vibration for alerts, no open SDK for 3rd party apps, battery life with constant Wifi is not ideal. Despite these limitations, support for the MotoACTV is now available within Augmented SmartWatch Pro.
- All notifications supported for the Sony SmartWatch including the notifications triggered by the Augmented SmartWatch Pro Open API (e.g. from Tasker) are supported!
- Notifications pop-up on the MotoACTV for a few seconds, then the watch display returns to prior state (about 8 seconds):
- Zero configuration install (for the Augmented SmartWatch Pro part) – simply install the apk and the app is ready to go (Note Notify My Android will also need to be installed and set-up on the MotoACTV)
- Notifications from multiple Android phones/tablets can be sent from to one MotoACTV (using Augmented SmartWatch Pro installed on each Android device)
- LED will light up (if display is off and an incoming notification is received). The status bar notifications would need to be cleared to clear the LED (the Zeam Launcher can be used to do this – swipe down if configured). Alternatively, selecting any option on an Augmented SmartWatch Pro Pop-Up would also clear the status notification/LED.
- The normal Pop-Up will show two options: OK (to close) – See notifications (to see all the notifications received on the MotoACTV by Notify My Android)
- Once configured for one SmartWatch like the MotoACTV, other SmartWatches are supported today (Sony and MetaWatch). The Pebble watch will also be supported in the future (if they ever release it). So if you invest your time in setting up Tasker tasks/profiles to use the Open API of Augmented SmartWatch Pro, these Tasker tasks/profiles will support all smart watches supported (or will be supported) by Augemented SmartWatch Pro.
Requirements to Use
You will need to install and configure software on both the MotoACTV and (optionally) an Android phone. The MotoACTV would need a constant connection to the internet to receive notifications.
- A Motorola MotoACTV
- Rooted with a custom ROM – See these instructions (tested with this DPRomBeta8)
- Install Augmented SmartWatch Pro(Version 2.8 or higher)
- adb install -r augmentedmotoactv.apk
- Notify My AndroidApp
- only the username and password would need to be configured within this app on the MotoACTV
- You will need an account with NotifyMyAndroid
- Connection to the internet (presumably over wifi)
- An Android phone connected to the internet. Running on this phone:
- Augmented SmartWatch Pro (Version 2.8 or higher)
- Augmented SmartWatch Pro will need to be configured as follows to send notifications to the NMA cloud to be received by the MotoACTV:
- Accessibility settings need to be enabled for Augmented SmartWatch Pro
- Under settings->MotoACTV Watch Options
- Enable MotoACTV
- Optionally Enable Vibrate Phone (this will vibrate the phone so you can be alerted to look at your MotoACTV watch as the MotoACTV does not have a vibrator)
- Under settings->PhoneOptions->Notify Other Phones Options->Notify My Android API Key (please enter your API key from your Notify My Android account). Once you log into the Notify My Android Web Site, under My Account you will find your API Key. You can cut/paste from an email by emailing the key to yourself. Note a check is done on the validity of the API key, so it is highly recommended to use cut/paste from the web site.
- You can verify the above has been configured properly by
- On the MotoACTV – verify that you have three green status lines for Augmented SmartWatch Pro and Notify My Android
- On the Android Phone, the following three lines highlighted should be green
- You can do a test notification within the app on the Android phone
- Open the Augmented SmartWatch App
- Menu key-> Test Notification
Note you will need to ensure your wifi connection is set-up properly in the MotoACTV. Note in the event of a network disconnect a message will pop-up on the MotoACTV. It will also re-appear when the MotoACTV display is turned back on (a manual tap on “Wifi Settings” is required to clear the notification). This will alert you to when the network disconnects so that you can ensure the network is connected properly again. Tapping on the “Wifi Settings” will take you to the configuration for wifi networks.
com.motorola.motogolf – is used to detect the MotoACTV ( to make it easier to deploy). If you see the following on your MotoACTV, then it was not detected properly:
To address this you can force the app to act as if it is running on a MotoACTV – settings->MotoACTV->Force MotoACTV enable
Note notifications do not necessarily need to come from another Android phone. They can from any source NMA supports such as
Combined, these sources provide for a rich set of possibilities of information to be pushed to the MotoACTV.
If you find that notifications are not `popping-up` after confirming your network connection is OK, try re-installing the NMA app onto the motoACTV:
adb uninstall com.usk.app.notifymyandroid
adb install -r com.usk.app.notifymyandroid-2.apk
Also I left the NMA app on the default install location (external). I did NOT “move to phone“
See this post for details on how to configure notifications within Augmented SmartWatch Pro
Note upon a MotoACTV watch reboot, it should just work (assuming you have wifi connected properly).
- Other ROMs;
- Internet of Bluetooth tethering
- Simultaneous connection to MotoACTV Android app (over bluetooth)