Even though I wear two smart-watches regularly, people still ask me if I have “somewhere else to go” when I glance at my watch to check an alert. Hence the opportunity to custom/tune haptic feedback on the Android Wear to provide more precision in what the alert is about. In the latest version on Augmented SmartWatch Pro, I have the following:
- There are two vibration types – short and long. Long is configured in Augmented Settings as 600ms. short is always 1/3 the duration of long.
- An alert is a # of long or short pulses
My settings are as follows:
- Normal Alerts – 1 long pulse (default)
- Google Now – 1 short pulse
- Rain Alert – 2 short pulses
- High Priority Alerts – 2 long pulses – followed by 1-4 short pulses (the # of short pulses depends on which high priority sender the alert is from)
- SMS – 3 pulses (short-short-long)
- Home Security Alert – 3 pulses (long-short-short)
- Network Connect or Android Wear re-connect – 3 short pulses
- Calendar Alert – 3 long pulses
- Google Talk/Skype/WhatsApp – 4 long pulses
- Appmonger new order alert – 4 pulses (long-short-short-short)
So the above gives me a finer granularity as to the type of alert (or in some cases even who is sending the alert) without needing to even glance at my smartwatch!