New feature added with Version 4.9.9i:
- Added option to Pebble auto re-connect logic. This option will not attempt a re-connect if the audio headset is connected via bluetooth (as it will interrupt the audio). It will only attempt a re-connect after the headset is disconnected. Disabled by default.
The Pebble watch sometimes gets into a state where it does not show notifications. There are two symptoms (and perhaps at least two root causes):
Symptom 1 – It appears to be “re-connecting” within the Pebble app but it never does recconnect until the Bluetooth feature on the Android is toggled (disabled then enabled). This happens once or twice a day; or
Symptom 2 – It appears to be `connected`within the Android Pebble app. The Pebble watch does not show notifications and it appears to be `connected` but the Android Pebble app must be shutdown and restarted (+ or the Pebble watch also be shutdown and re-started). This happens about once per week or so. Although more recently it happens more frequently. To work around this (so far it has worked reliably), I have created a Tasker task to automatically kill (using Root) the Android Pebble app and then automatically restarting it (I have scheduled this for 3am every day which I also have Quiet Time enabled). Will monitor to see if this entirely solves this issue (note I am back to the latest 1.8.1 firmware on the Pebble, was running the nightly build 1.8.2 previously). So to confirm I had to do 4 things and I am not sure which one (or combination of these 4) fixes or avoids the issue..
- Pebble Shutdown and restart;
- Bluetooth Connection toggle off then on;
- Android phone reboot; and
- Kill the Android Pebble app and restart.
I had thought 1 was sufficient before, but now I don`t believe that it is as it happened again in less than 24 hours. Will see if my Tasker fixes it. If so I am not sure if (or how) to wrap this into a future version of Augmented SmartWatch Pro as I don`t want to embed killing processes within the app to workaround yet another Pebble software (or firmware) issue. So far the daily restart using Tasker has avoided Symptom 2. To be sure, I would need to test for at least another week – without rebooting the Pebble watch.
Version 4.2 of Augmented SmartWatch Pro has been enhanced with the following features specifically tuned for reconnect/disconnects of the Pebble Smart Watch (and Symptom 1 above):
Upon a reconnect (successful) a notification is sent to the Pebble showing that it has reconnected and the # of missed notifications:
Upon a disconnect, the Android phone will play a short ZAP sound. This short ZAP sound will play every 5-15 or so minutes until the Pebble is re-connected. Moreover, the bluetooth connection will be toggled (disabled then enabled) to fix the issue where the Pebble gets into a state where a manual bluetooth is required. With Augmented SmartWatch Pro 4.2, this is now done automatically – i.e. the state is detected and then a bluetooth toggle is automatically done! Note that Airplane mode is also respected (i.e the automated bluetooth toggle is only done if Airplane mode is off). In the following log from the Augmented SmartWatch Pro app:
- Notice the disconnect 8 hours ago and the two attempts to fix by toggling the Bluetooth connection and the successful reconnection on the 2nd attempt.
- This feature gives you the confidence that your Pebble will always be connected with Augmented SmartWatch Pro and you do not not have to worry about checking for this or setting any LEDs on the Android to show this!