This is a general update for MetaWatch users as it appears that the latest MetaWatch Firmware does not work well with 3rd party apps (like Augmented SmartWatch Pro). I have not changed the code for Metawatch in quite some time and the APIs have not changed.
I believe the issues are in the MetaWatch firmware – do not use the official 1.3 version.
The release candidate is considered to be the most stable one: v13rc-458-401.a43
This post will details progress of ASP support for the MetaWatch Strata:
Update December 30 (New Widgets for Augmented SmartWatch Pro 3.3):
Update December 21:
- Augmented SmartWatch Pro (latest version on market) confirmed to work on MetaWatch Strata using the latest version of MetaWatch Community Edition (1.23.2)
- You do need to get Firmware 1.2 (just email support @ metawatch and they will send to you).
Update December 5:
- The good news is that once the awesome MetaWatch Community EditionVersion works with the MetaWatch Strata properly, then Augmented SmartWatch Pro (3.1) will also work with the Strata (as-is).
- The bad news is that this is entirely out of my hands and I am in waiting mode.
Update November 30:
- Updated to Firmware 1.1 (had to do this twice as the first time it wouldn’t connect with any Android device).
- Little surprised by the state of the Android software (e.g. it is very limited) especially compared with the Community Edition which doesn’t yet work. I highly recommend to MetaWatch to fix the firmware bug that prevents the CE software from working ASAP.
- I cannot communicate with the official Android software and would need the Intent API details (assuming there is one) to be made public (or the CE software to communicate with the Strata firmware). So until either one of these two things occur, Augmented SmartWatch Pro will not work with the MetaWatch Strata. I have no intention of replicating the CE software into ASP.
Update November 26:
- My watch has been delivered – but unfortunately it was delivered literally hours after I left for a week long trip overseas. Terrible timing. I will be back on Thursday and will promptly test.
- I already have the beta Android apk from Metawatch, but there are reports that it has very limited functionality. All ASP needs is the Intent APIs – I do not know if it exists and even if it does what the API is (i.e. is it identical to the MMW CE one).
- As soon as I can send notifications properly to either manager SW ASP 3.1 will be released to the market.
- Things I look forward to observing (for personal use):
- Battery life – it should be @ 2x the original
- Water Resistance – should be even better @ATM-5
- Aesthetics – this is the one area all watches can improve on and will need to be addressed to have wider adoption.
- I expect the Strata to surpass the original in every aspect and the original MetaWatch was quite robust.
- Features I am thinking of for future ASP releases:
- More widgets (Withings, general info) – my goal is to complement not overlap the existing software
- Dual simultaneous use with a Sony – e.g. using the light sensor to determine which watch to send a notification to (outdoors to the MetaWatch, indoors to the Sony) – this is admittedly quite a niche use case but I believe there is at least one other person out there that wears both watches for everyday use 🙂
BTW I just got an email that the Basis watch will finally be ready to ship within days! Not yet sure if I will order one but the heart rate info is tempting.